MxMo El Eks Vee Ai : Bein' Green

October's Mixology Monday is hosted by Ed of Wordsmithing Pantagruel. The theme this time is (It's Not Easy) Bein' Green. To quote:

"With the warm days of summer now fading off into the distance in our rear view mirrors, let's pay one last tribute to the greens of summer before the frosts come and our outdoor herb gardens give up the ghost for the winter. For our theme for this month, I have chosen: (it's not easy) "Bein' Green." (Perchance due in no small part to my predilection for Green Chartreuse.) I'm giving you a wide berth on this one, anything using a green ingredient is fair play. There's not only the aforementioned Chartreuse; how about Absinthe Verte, aka the green fairy. Or Midori, that stuff is pretty damn green. Crème de menthe? Why not? Douglas Fir eau de vie? Bring it! Apple schnapps? Uh...well...it is green. I suppose if you want to try to convince me it makes something good you can have at it. But it doesn't have to be the liquor. Limes are green. So is green tea. Don't forget the herb garden: mint, basil, cilantro, you name it - all fair game. There's also the veritable cornucopia from the farmers market: green apples, grapes, peppers, olives, celery, cucumbers...you get the idea. Like I said, wide berth. Base, mixer, and or garnish; if it's green it's good. Surprise me. Use at least one, but the more the merrier."

So, thats fairly liberal and wide open. I have chosen to make a green drink and garnish it with green things. First though, the instructions for making one of the ingredients...

Shiso Rum

In a glass jar cover 1 cup torn shiso leaves with 1 cup over-proof rum (I used St Vincent Sunset). Let steep for 24 hours. Strain. The resulting liquid should look like green food colouring and taste almost, but not quite, entirely unlike creme de menthe.

Got your shiso rum? Good, here we go.


She Sew My Tie
1 oz Rhum Barbancourt 3 Star
0.75 oz lime juice
0.5 oz Shiso Rum
0.5 oz simple syrup
0.5 oz orgeat

Shake with crushed ice. Pour unstrained into a DOF. Garnish in a cool and freindly like manner.

Cheers!





UPDATE: Check out the other drinks in the wrap-up post

Comments

Anonymous said…
I noticed on the MxMo post at Wordsmithing, you said you were thinking pouring out your Shiso rum. Is this infusion worth making?
Dagreb said…
Of course it's worth making! I just didn't have the right application for it at first. I wouldn't nor would I expect anyone else to drink this straight but it makes an intriguing grassy Daquiri and a funky Mai Tai. It may intimately make more sense as a bittering agent. We'll see....

Cheers!

Popular Posts